I’ve realized that every class I’m taking this semester I’m taking for a reason. Between my internship and my family foundations class, I have realized the importance of parenting and bringing children into this world into a family who keeps the commandments and keeps the covenants made in the temple. I have also realized that being a social worker is hard work. It has been harder to feel the spirit in some of the situations I have been in so far but I have been able to work through it because of the family foundations class I am in and the things that I am learning in that class. It is incredible to me how blessed I have been and how the spirit has helped me through this semester and how much he has taught me that I know I will remember and be able to apply in my life, for the rest of my life.
I spend a lot of time at the alternative high school and the kids up there have no filter. They talk about whatever they want, using whatever vocabulary they want, whenever they want and sometimes it is very hard. It is hard to not walk out, it is harder to feel the spirit and it is hard to not share my testimony of what I know about the plan of salvation, the word of wisdom, the sacred powers of procreation and the Atonement. But one thing I have learned is that I am so grateful for the family and friends I have and the examples they have been to me and the things they have taught me. I now know more than ever the importance of raising my children in a home where the gospel and Jesus Christ are the center.
I have also learned the importance of a good role model. Because I am not a loud to talk openly about my beliefs and verbally share my testimony and all that I know to be true. I have found that being an example of being creative at coming up with good, wholesome activities, choosing my words carefully, and dressing modestly goes a long way. Most of the kids up at that school clearly don’t have good role models or good home where their parents truly care about their well beings. I have felt so strongly to do all I can to be that role model for them and show them that it is possible to not drink or use drugs or break the law of chastity and still have a good time and be happy.
Finishing my degree has been so hard and it has been so difficult leaving Carter but I am so glad I have stuck with it. Satan has been making quite the effort to get me to quit but I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing and that my life and my family’s life will be so much better because I stuck with it and I learned so much.
Whit, you're so good. I'm really glad that you can be that example for the kids, and families that have lost their way. You are amazing and will always be a wonderful parent. I love the gospel!
ReplyDelete