And then I met Mark and we got married. It was great. I loved my life. We were in newlyweds and so in love. We were both going to school and loving all our classes and learning so much. We still didn't have all the responsibilities of actual "grown ups", we didn't have to worry about annoying roommates and we could just have fun and hang out with each other all we wanted. Our life was perfect. And I thought, "Man, I love my life! I want it to stay just the way it is."
A year went by and then I had Carter. Having a baby was pure bliss. It was hard work, but so worth it. We loved Carter so much and we couldn't imagine loving another baby as much as him. We were still going to school, so it was hard juggling school and family stuff but we loved our life. Carter was a great baby and we loved him so so much. We felt fulfillment in ours lives and it was perfect. And I thought, "Man, I love my life! I want it to stay just the way it is."
Then we graduated and moved to Utah where Mark continued having an actual career. We rented a really nice condo, made great friends, and loved our little boy so much. But we felt like something was missing and 9 months later, Lucy was born. Again, we were experiencing pure bliss. When Lucy was born, we were amazed that we could love her just as much as we loved Carter. I thought for sure my heart had been filled to capacity with my love for Carter, but boy was I wrong! Our life was perfect. And I thought, "Man, I love my life! I want it to stay just the way it is."
And then we became home owners. We moved into a real neighborhood, with families who have kids our age, and a stable ward. We're making new friends and experiencing new ward callings and everything is great. We have had challenges and we continue to do so, but we really do love our life and we feel so blessed for all that we have. We're so grateful for the choices we made, when we made them and we know Heavenly Father has played a great part in our lives. And now I'm starting to think, "Can life really get any better than this?" And because of my experiences the past few years, I sure know it can and it will!
You might be wondering why I'm writing a blog post like this, but I just want people to know that progressing through life is what we're supposed to do and we are tremendously blessed if we continue to grow and progress in this life. Thinking back to high school, I never in a million years would have ever thought that my life would be what it is now and that I would be so happy. Back then, I thought life was good, but now I realize that if you make good choices, if just keeps getting better.
A while ago, my mom got me a book called "The Happiest Mommy Ever" By Alice Furniss.
Pretend like I'm reading it to you:
I love my mommy.
Sometimes we make cookies together, and mommy will tell me stories.
One day I asked, "Mommy, what is the happiest you've ever been?"
"Well," said mommy, "once when I was just about your age, I was in a dance recital.
I danced and danced and danced.
And when I was done, the audience clapped and cheered for me. I was so happy!"
"But mommy, is that the happiest you've EVER been?"
"Well, it was until...
I grew older and played volleyball on the school team.
I practiced and practiced and practiced.
On the day of the big game, all that practice paid off.
I made the winning point, and we wond the big game! I was so happy!"
"But mommy, is that the happiest you've EVER been?"
"Well, it was until...
A few years later, I went off to college.
I studied and studied, and studied.
After four long years of studying, I graduated and got my college degree. I was so happy."
"But mommy, is that the happiest you've EVER been?"
"Well, it was until...
A few years later, I met your daddy.
We spent lots of time together.
We laughed and laughed and laughed.
One day we went to the temple and were married.
All our friends and family were there. I was so happy!"
"But mommy, is that the happiest you've EVER been?"
"Well, it was until...
Daddy and I had been married a few years.
We had lots of love in our home and wanted children to share it with.
Then we found our a baby was on the way.
We waited and waited and waited.
Finally, our brand-new baby was here.
It was YOU! I was so happy!"
"But mommy, is that the happiest you've EVER been?"
"Well, it was until...
A few years later, that little boy wasn't a baby anymore.
He grew and grew and grew.
And then he was a big boy.
A big boy that I love to make cookies with and tell stories to!
I am so happy!"
"Mommy, is this the happiest you've ever been?"
"Yes, THIS is the happiest I've EVER been!"






Whit I LOVED this post! Very true and such great thoughts and words. I'm so glad life keeps getting better! You have a great growing family and I still need to meet Lucy! Thanks for a great read before conference (:
ReplyDeleteDon't even worry that I got emotional reading this! :)
ReplyDelete